Friday, November 05, 2010

Cheap Flea Stuff....

I've talked about this before. Most of my readers have one or two cats. But when you have 5 cats, flea stuff gets really expensive! And fleas are running rampant around here right now.

I just don't have the funds to buy Advantage or Frontline right now. So, I'm trying some herbal and holistic methods. I've giving NEEM Oil and Diatomaceous Earth a try in combination. Not that I don't believe in this stuff, because I do.

The Diatomaceous Earth product I've been using has additives, and I'm not sure how good they are for use on a cat's skin and fur. So, I got some edible Diatomaceous Earth and found some for a reasonable price. It's fairly inexpensive and it works well.

I found that a shaker is the best way to apply it. A salt shaker or spice shaker works. Keep it dry, and it will sprinkle well. You can add teaspoons to your food to clean out your digestive tract, too! But we are adding it to your cat to remove fleas, remember?

I'm still using salt on the carpet. It's cheap and easy. I also use salt on the mattresses and furniture. I leave it for a few days, then vacuum it up, along with hair and flea eggs. I spread the salt again after vacuuming.

NEEM oil is mixed with olive oil or for human use, with Neutrogena Body Oil. I spray it on and the fleas leave me alone so I can sleep. The product here can be used directly on the cats.

Yep, they are bad right now. These measures will make things better, though.

No comments: