Thursday, January 11, 2007

Wow! So Busy!/Flea Control Results, Cynicism

I have been so busy, that I haven't been able to keep up. Sorry about that!

Work is nuts, home is busy, and I've been extremely tired to top it off. I guess the weather and long hours are getting to me.

Anyway, I wanted to report on the results of the Breakaway Flea Collars, which I don't think I ever did. It seems that instead of killing the fleas right away, like the drops do, the collars are disrupting the reproductive cycle of the fleas instead. It takes a little longer to get rid of the fleas at the start, but they don't come back. This might be why the collars last up to 8 months.

So, we only have the passing flea, and it can't reproduce - result? The house is pretty flea-free!

I reported earlier on the odor control measures, so you have that. Get Microbe-Clean while you can. This is put out by an environmental group in Washington DC. If they lose their funding, who knows what will happen to the stuff. I lost it's predecessor when the company closed it's doors. So, get it now & have it on hand for when you need it. You would think that a GOOD odor control product would stay on the market for a while, but NO! - what they do is go and close their doors, instead.

I guess it's like the thing with pantyhose. You know: The one where the manufacturers stopped freezing the end product before selling it so that they would run easier & you would have to buy more?? Well, now you know: Put your hose in the freezer for at least 24 hours and they won't run as easily. If a product is too good, the sales aren't as great as they could be, so the manufacturer and sales outlets scream for changes to make the product not last as long - prompting the consumer to purchase more of the product.

It used to be that things were built to last. Now, they have "shelf-life" and "useful-life" built into them. Cars, clothes (fashion - which recycles), shoes, even canned goods! Sure, if a can has been in the cupboard for over a year, don't use it without heating it - (boiling it?) - but come on! 2 Years for a car that costs $25,000 or more????? After that, you need an engine?? Get over it! Cars made in the 20s and 30s were built to last forever. They fell apart from rust and bad maintainance, not because they weren't built properly. Even bridges and roads are built to "expire" now, causing cities, counties and states to replace them. A bridge made in the 20s should last at least a hundred years unless there was a problem with construction or maintainance. A road should be able to last 5 years unless it's subjected to extremes in temperature. Why is there road construction every 6 months on the same stretch of road? Why are bridges built only 10 years ago being replaced? More taxes on homeowners and gasoline that already costs too much to produce and trade across international boundaries.

Shoes are bad, because now they are made with plastic. Why re-sole a pair of $50 shoes when the sole you put on will last longer than the shoes themselves? That's if the shoes aren't falling apart already by the time the sole needs to be replaced. And fit??? Who ever heard of every foot being the same size and shape? No wonder people have feet problems! I know, I'm one of them. My family has a genetic disposition to short, wide feet. Try to fit that off the shelf!

I guess I'm a little cynical (little?) about things, but I've seen a few of these shenanigans over my lifetime, and I don't mind sharing about it, is all. Oh well, enough ranting and raving. I guess I just needed to complain today. Sorry about that.

Enjoy your day; pet & love your cat. It will lower your blood pressure. I guess I didn't get enough kitty-cuddles this morning.

No comments: