Monday, January 09, 2012

What Does a Cat Whisperer Do?

A cat whisperer - or cat trainer - can help with a troubled cat and human relationship. We can help the cat to adjust to changes around the home.

This includes helping a cat to accept other cats or dogs, a new baby, spouse, or partner. We can help the cat to feel comfortable in a new home, including a feral or rescue cat. Not that the cat will like it, but we can help the owner (or foster home) to make the cat more comfortable by their actions.

I work with shelters, foster families, folks who want to feed the feral cats in the neighborhood, and new parents; to help their cats feel more comfortable, adjust to the vagaries of life, and be more friendly.

There are times when a cat will mark it's territory, or bite and scratch for no apparent reason. I work with the humans to identify the issues, and adjust the cat's behavior accordingly.

Some cats seem hopeless and helpless. There is no bad cat. There is no hopeless cat. All the cat wants is to feel safe and eat it's fill. It wants to sleep in the sun and chase mice or birds. We, as humans, can help cats to feel safe and secure, to chase toys instead of live animals, and we do that by our actions.

I also talk a lot about a cat's diet. A cat has to eat healthy food and since we tend to keep cats in our homes, that means we have to provide that healthy food. Not all cat food is good for cats. I test foods, read labels, and keep on top of the additives and recalls that affect our furry friends. If I find something you, the owner, needs to know about, I pass it on as fast as I can.

I hope I can build trust with you, and you will learn to rely on me a little bit.

Best purrs and scratches...

No comments: